1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you let a goat free range?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chicken 86, Sep 15, 2011.

1. chicken 86

chicken 86 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Beside the obvious reason to not let a goat free range(that being that it will eat your garden) is it okay? Mainly I want to know if it will get lost or follow the chickens to the goat house. The goat house is not the chicken coop but is close.

2. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    you mean no fence at all? No....not a good idea at all. They need to be fenced to protect them from predators and to keep them where you want them.

3. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Well, you can, but I can guarantee that they will not eat what you want them to eat and will eat everything else...... We turn ours loose occassionally when we are outside, they do good for oh 15-30 minutes, then they start to get in trouble [​IMG]

4. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    not only will they eat everything in your garden but onces theyve decinated all the yummies from yours they will happily head on over to your neighbors homes too, (no matter how many acres your on)
    not to mention there at a great deal of risk from neighborhood stray dogs and vehicles...
    so can you...
    sure

should you? not if you want your goat to live very long or stay on frinedly terms with your neighbors.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You can, but only one time

6. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    You can, if you want them on top of your car.....

7. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    Good advice, all, but I was going to ask can you every totally STOP them from free ranging?? [​IMG] My babies have been very well behaved (knock on wood), but it has been my experience that a truly motivated goat is a very hard animal to contain!! [​IMG]

8. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Mine get out 2-3 times a day. They are hopping a 5ft fence so I've given up and just let them do what they want. Luckily, where I live we can hardly keep a flower alive in the soil. I talked to my neighbor and he actually say he enjoys looking out his window and seeing 2-3 goats in his yard. My other neighbor loves that they "clear cut" her woods. I'm lucky that mine have 10 acres total that no one cares about, and we are a mile from a real road (private drive here). Also, although they have that much space, they never stray more than 100 yrds from the house. As soon as you walk out there and give them the "your in trouble" look, they automatically go back into their yard too.

9. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:That's exactly what I was going to say.

10. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Quote:X2 and [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by