Can You make a blue laced Cochin?

Stazia86

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 6, 2009
First let me say Hi, to everyone. I am new to chicken breeding, but have fallen in love with the color of a chicken I saw. It is a blue laced Wyandotte. But Is it possible to cross a blue cochin and a gold laced Cochin and get the same markings? Or maybe a blue and a buff laced one? any ideas?
Thanks for your advice. I just want to raise unique and pretty chickens, not the blah everyday colors you normally see (red, white, black.)

sorry i forgot a word..lol I meant can you cross a blue cochin and a gold laced cochin and get a "Blue Laced RED"? Or could you cross a blue cochin and a buff laced cochin and get a Blue laced red?

There are already Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. If anything I would start from there.

BeautyAltered.JPEG

BLRWyH2.JPEG

I wish you were close to me ( I am in SW Ohio). I have some birds that I am working on that could be usefull to you, in your quest of blue laced red Cochins. I am also fond of the color, but partial to Brahmas as the canvas. I am currently on my second generation of this branch of my Brahma projects.

Starting with gold laced Cochins crossed to splash blue laced red Wyandotte would be a logical start, you would have to select for proper type, comb( unless you luck onto a single comb Wyandotte), leg feathering, and color (proper lacing, and the deeper red vs the gold from the cochin.)

Again I wish we were close, as my project could benefit from stonger leg feathering from the cochin blood, and I could save you from having to bring the clean legged genetics into it to begin with.

The first shot is my F1 male and my gold laced females.
24364_chicken_pics-_craigslist_062.jpg

Some of their chicks
24364_chickens_122.jpg

24364_chickens_152.jpg

Last edited:
wow they are beautiful! It's nice to know someone is on the same wave length as me...lol. The chicks have very similar markings,. more blue than red, but they are pretty.of course i can see the split between mom and dad going right down thier legs.
Well, i think i'll keep them in the feather footed gene pool, i think i can live with gold laced blues. instead of red it will be a tan color(theoretically speaking, i dunno, i'll just have to try and see what hatches). but hopefully the same effect will happen. i just love the brown/red outlined in blue. Thankyou so much for sharing. the pictures are beautiful!

Thanks, it's still very early in the project, much refinement still needed.

I'm not sure you can get the blue lacing without outcrossing to Wyandotte, or a cross thereoff.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom