Can You Make A Hen Go Broody?

newchickens2009

Songster
12 Years
May 18, 2009
BAHAMAS
I've read somewhere before that someone incourages their hens to go broody alot. Is there something that you can do to make them broody or is it just up to the hen?

Your orpington might go broody eventually, but it's unlikely that leaving eggs in the nest box will get you anything besides old and maybe broken eggs. The only breed I've really heard that working on is broody prone silkies and I don't have any of those so that is strictly second hand. I don't have either of your other breeds, but I'm pretty sure the Dels are not usually considered a broody breed, don't know about the Dom's.

Quote:
Starve them. . .
hide.gif
It is what the industries do. Of course I would never actually advise this - It is entirely cruel and terrible, but sadly does work.

On the lighter side - I hear that getting them plenty fake eggs work, but the best thing to do is wait for the right time (early winter) when their food goes down, and they feel less inclined to lay. Also remember that some breeds aren't as broody.
smile.png

Quote:
Starve them. . .
hide.gif
It is what the industries do. Of course I would never actually advise this - It is entirely cruel and terrible, but sadly does work.

On the lighter side - I hear that getting them plenty fake eggs work, but the best thing to do is wait for the right time (early winter) when their food goes down, and they feel less inclined to lay. Also remember that some breeds aren't as broody.
smile.png

idunno.gif
Huh? The industries use incubators and do their best to breed broodiness out. A hen that is broody is a hen that is not laying eggs. A malnurished bird will not lay well and will not just go broody. A broody bird will sometimes finish up in a poor state because she does not eat properly on the nest. That is particularly true for a hen that has had a failed hatch or that has been trying to brood with either no eggs or infertile eggs and has stayed in the broody state for longer then the usual three weeks.

Back
Top Bottom