Can you make a slurry from chicken poop to use in the garden?

UncleDougsChickens

Songster
6 Years
Nov 18, 2017
I've seen videos of cow farmers that have these big pools of cow poop and it kinda turns into a liquid slurry that they put on the crops. Can this be done the same way with chicken poop? And if so is there anything I should know ahead of time (besides the fact that's its gonna be really stinky haha)?

I used to make such a "tea" with rabbit manure. Chicken poo is allot hotter though so use caution. Maybe start with some plants you can afford to loose before putting it on everything.

If you have a wood shop, you can put sawdust in your slurry. The wood draws the excess nitrogen into it, then will release it slower into the soil. It will also improve the soil as it breaks down as well.

I do it with cow poop and some chicken added in. In fact I just started a bucket of it today. I fill the bucket halfway then add water, let it sit a day or two. then when i want to use it, I just take 2 cups of slurry out and add it to a gallon of water then water my fruit trees. It would need to be a little more dilluted for garden plants. My garden is amazing with this method :)

I've seen videos of cow farmers that have these big pools of cow poop and it kinda turns into a liquid slurry that they put on the crops. Can this be done the same way with chicken poop? And if so is there anything I should know ahead of time (besides the fact that's its gonna be really stinky haha)?
You dont need to do much if its from inside the coop or mixed with something like hay and dirt. Our plants love the stuff we take outta the run and coop our ducks and chickens live in. Infact, my plants that grow up their runner are thriving because of it. Though it is more acidic on its own.

Back
Top Bottom