Can you mix breeds in your backyard coop?

aussiechicky

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 3, 2013
GOLD COAST, AUSTRALIA
hi there,

I am new to the BYC world and to chickens. I had them when i was living at home but now I have bought my own house and my own chickens i realise there a few thing i dont know!

My primary question is can you mix breeds in your coop if you just want their eggs?

I love the marans rooster! they are beautiful..

but I like the Araucana chickens because of the blue eggs.

I would like a real mix of hens and eggs colours but wanted to check they would be OK first!

I have 1 Standard brown layer (i dont know the breed name) and 2 black standard layers. all 8weeks old.

Alexandra :)

If you just want eggs, mix and match. Select different varieties and colors to provide colorful lawn ornaments and multi colored eggs. Enjoy your flock, and welcome to BYC.

Greetings, Alexandra, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! Yes, breeds can be mixed - I have 11 or 12 breeds (I lose track) in my flock of 19 and they get along great. Good luck to you and your flock!!

With silkies - they may or may not do well in a mixed flock, depending on whether they were all raised together and the aggressiveness of the other hens. I have had some silkies do fine and others not so fine. They are prone to brain injury because of the soft spot in their heads. So if you get silkies just keep in mind it is better to get them as chicks and rear them with the others, or have a plan to house them separately if all doesn't go well with the integration of the flocks.

Other breeds can have trouble too. I had some Golden Sex Links that eventually wouldn't let my Easter Eggers eat. I got rid of the GSLs and kept the EEs at the time. It really does depend on the individual hens a lot. There are many people on here who have absolutely no trouble at all with that breed combo.

So go for it! My suggestion is to buy as many breeds as you want to try when they are all chicks, as they will be best buds when they all grow up together compared to bringing in new ones later. There are many kinds to try- you can google Henderson's chicken chart, feathersite, and the hatcheries to get an idea of different breeds that are available.

Enjoy your chickens!

(Also keep in mind that certain breeds are fliers and others are heavy and stay in the pen when fully grown and heavy.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom