Can you mix chicks that are 3 weeks apart in age?

aurorarex

Hatching
9 Years
May 28, 2010
I hatched two separate clutches...the 6-week-old chicks are quite a bit bigger than the younger, 3-week-old chicks by now, so I'm kinda dubious about the wisdom of putting them together....? But I won't mix either of them in with the main herd until they no longer make 'chick noises,' I'm told. Thanks in advance for your help.

I hatched two separate clutches...the 6-week-old chicks are quite a bit bigger than the younger, 3-week-old chicks by now, so I'm kinda dubious about the wisdom of putting them together....? But I won't mix either of them in with the main herd until they no longer make 'chick noises,' I'm told. Thanks in advance for your help.
Asking for trouble mixing those ages. Sorry.......Pop

Maybe it depends on breeds. I do this all the time with my silkies, d'anver, and bantam ameraucana chicks and have never had a problem. Maybe you could put them in and keep a watchful eye out. If all goes well then check often for the first couple of days?

I just bought several 2 week old SFs, and got a 3 week old SFx free..... The SFx is so much bigger, she runs all over the younger chicks and I'm afraid she'll hurt one. However, they also learn from her. She's very curious and outgoing, willing to approach my hand when I lower it in the brooder and they copy it.... I can't separate her, she'd be alone...But, I wish I could. I just don't like her being so much bigger - and it's only a week!!

If you can, put them apart, just for safety.

Back
Top Bottom