1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you mix hens with cats?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AmyAnnette, Mar 14, 2007.

1. AmyAnnette

AmyAnnette New Egg

Mar 12, 2007
    We want to get full grown chickens or baby chicks. But my daughter is begging for a cat too. I thought an outdoor cat would be great to control mice problems. Do I get baby chicks and a kitten so they grow up together? Or do I get full grown hens and get a kitten. Any thoughts?[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oy. Tough question... Only because you never know how the cat will react. I would think that getting a kitten when the chicks are hens would be best, only because I think a kitten would respect a hen more.
    But what do I know! [​IMG]
    Honestly, I think it depends on what kind of personalities we are talking about.

3. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I would suggest getting a cat(maybe a older kitten) when your flock is full grown. My friend Freebie got 2 barn kitties and they get along great with the chickens. She even has a rooster and he has adopted the kitties. He let them know in no uncertain terms he was boss. The cats were pretty agile in avoiding most pecking. He has even protected them when my dog Dodge tried to playfully chase one of them. Jack(the rooster) chestbutted Dodge and went over then pecked the kitty in the head! Jack has known to share a bowl of cat food with them too! I am afraid baby chicks would be to fragile. The kittens would see them as playmates and maybe get alittle to rough. So my vote is get one when your birds are older.

4. wolfpack62001

wolfpack62001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    New Brockton, Alabama
    I have to Agree strongly with HotWings.
    I have Cats and Dogs, and yes from time to time they get in the pen, well my Dominiquer (Spelling?) Roo will take control quick and teach a good lesson in short order.
    I have a Boxer, Lab and 3 cats, no problems!
    Hope this helps:D

5. lively Bee's

lively Bee's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    We have about 12 cats that run loose on the farm here and none of them mess with our chicks as they get bigger the hens will peck the cat if they bother them

6. CluckCluck18

CluckCluck18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    I wouldn't worry too much. I think alot depends on the energy of the owner. If you're calm and in control I think it works out; the animals feed off of your energy. I had six brand new chicks with 2 dogs, one large one and 2 cats who are older. Then I gave a bunch back...5 out of 7 roosters [​IMG] and then another group of 4 chicks and we have had no problems. Everyone gets along, the chickens free range and all breeds interact with no trouble. My Shi-Tzu sits in the coop. It's been one of my favorite parts of chicken keeping. Somehow they all know it's a safe place for animals...a real peaceable kingdom. Good luck! [​IMG]

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Kitten / young cat will go after anything that runs and is small. Introduce a kitten or cat to grown hens who put a too-close feline in place with a sturdy, swift peck. End of problem.

8. FeathersFlying

FeathersFlying New Egg

Nov 21, 2010
    I have five cats ranging from eight years to five months. The youngest two thought it would be fun to chase the chickens, to crouch down and 'hunt' them...until the chickens turned around and pecked. Those chickens are quick and have pretty good aim. The kittens (now) have a well established respect for their feathered friends. The older cats were never impressed by the chickens and left them alone from the beginning.

But I imagine it depends on the cats. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

9. happy hippy chicks

happy hippy chicks New Egg

Nov 28, 2010
    Hello, I have 2 cats as well as 26 chickens, I kept the cats away from the chicks when they were little, but once they outgrew the cats it was no problem, they actually get along quite well![​IMG]

10. forrestacres

forrestacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Squam Lakes - NH
    I have 5 cats. I too kept the cats away from the chickens when they were small. The cats are definitely afraid of the full grown hens. The hens will stare down the cats, and the cats will retreat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by