Can you mix newly hatched chicks with week old chicks?

I had a five month old Silkie hen that was the soul survivor of a fox attack.I ordered 15 silkie chicks and put them in a brooder with her. As young a she was she showed the chicks how to scratch, drink etc. She doesn't seem to mind being Mom although she hasn't laid her first egg. She is so happy to be part of a flock again!
Hope this helps

Uh NOOOOO Ms 1 week was pecking through the protective box and nailed my new baby...I slapped the metal brooder box and get Ms Silkie out of there. Her legs aren't quite up under her yet. She had a rough time..but I kept reading about not enough air in the incubator and got scared and decided to move her...stupid. We're set up with the Mama heating pad and she is resting well again in a separate but equal box. I think we'll wait a few days.

I have a question to add to this thread. I see that someone has mixed 1 day olds with up to 4 week olds and that's encouraging. I'll be getting one day olds three weeks running so I'll try that. What of the temperature in the brooder though? Do you keep it higher for the littlest ones, and would that bother the older ones?
Don't do it. The other ones will suffocate the little ones. It just happened to me last night. I had a 2 day old chick and put her in the bin with my week old chicks and she didn't even last 1 night. They others suffocated her when sleeping.

I have a question to add to this thread. I see that someone has mixed 1 day olds with up to 4 week olds and that's encouraging. I'll be getting one day olds three weeks running so I'll try that. What of the temperature in the brooder though? Do you keep it higher for the littlest ones, and would that bother the older ones?
Don't do it. The other ones will suffocate the little ones. It just happened to me last night. I had a 2 day old chick and put her in the bin with my week old chicks and she didn't even last 1 night. The others suffocated her when sleeping.

I am planning on buying another group of ISA browns and put them into the same brooder as the week old chicks but I was going to put a barrier in the middle so both ages would be apart until I know the new chicks is doing alright then I will pull the divider so they can be together. My divider will be expanded metal. What's the recommendation?

I have 1 3 month old chick and her pal died. I want to bring in another chick for her will that work?

If you get a new chick the same age as your current one, it will be easier.

If you put a newly-hatched chick directly with a chick that is 3 months old, it will probably not go well. The big one is likely to step on the baby or peck it, and the little one might get hurt or killed.

But you can probably divide their space, letting them see each other and interact through the divider. In a week or so, the little one will be good at running around. That is a good point to make some chick-sized openings, so the little one can go visit the big one if it wants, but can run back to safety if the big one is mean. After that, watch to see how they interact. They may be best buddies soon, or they may not want much to do with each other until they both finish growing up. Individual temperament makes a big difference, so I can't say what age it will be safe to take the divider out.

Back
Top Bottom