Can you mix silkies in with a regular flock........

I have silkies with my mixed flock. Elsa a tiny white silkie is head hen and puts roos in their places.
20180315_181340.jpg
She is one closes to you. All but two of the rest were boys. Got rid of all but one. But Miss Elsa is boss and is Very protective of all chicks and small bantams. She loves to hatch babies of any kind. She takes care of them also no matter what kind.(Ducks, turkeys)

Attachments

• 20180815_190515.jpg
    20180815_190515.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 21
i have 17 hens that are in a coop by themselves, and i have a coop that has 3 silkie cockerels and one frizzle cockerel....during the day i let the cockerels out to mingle with the hens, so funny to see the cockerels trying to mount the big hens,,,,,but they try their best, my hens are twice the size of the silkies.....but i only do that when i am there to supervise...then at night they all go back to their own coops

I have 12 silkies that were raised with my other chickens (most of them) and they actually are near to the top of the pecking order. They are in their own little coop though. They are thus part of about a 75 chicken flock.

But I have some older chickens - 19 of them- that are in a flock by themselves. They peck and peck my younger ones, unless I let them visit the other flock one at a time (which I do since the younger ones have a large garden).
Would love to see the little coop you have for your silkies.

You absolutely can mix them. I have two mixed in with 23 standards and they do just fine!

Good luck!
Did you mix your silkies in when all of your chickens were baby chicks? My husband's friend are giving us two (one year old) hens and I want to get two silkie baby chicks to mix in with them.

Did you mix your silkies in when all of your chickens were baby chicks? My husband's friend are giving us two (one year old) hens and I want to get two silkie baby chicks to mix in with them.
Thank you Crack N Egg, very helpful. I will be purchasing those silkies when they have hens and not mixed hens and roos at our Tractor Supply.

Back
Top Bottom