Can you mix vaccinated chicks with nonvacc. flock?

JessaLynn

Songster
11 Years
Aug 7, 2008
Sandusky County,Ohio
what's the risks (if any) of mixing a flock of some vaccinated for Mereck's and some that are not?? I have some adult chickens that I didn't vaccinate and have since ordered chicks this time those are vaccinated.Never thought about this till now.OOps!

The challenge period for most vaccines is about 12-16 days, meaning that vaccine does not provide full protection until that time has passed. Prior to this, your new (vaccinated) birds should be kept away from the non-vaccinated birds. Of course, always sanitize your equipment before the new birds arrive. This will go along way towards breaking the cycle of disease, especially when you are talking about the youngest birds which are far more vulnerable.

I'm going to keep our brooder in the house so keeping them seperated for that period of time isn't a problem.I was just wondering about when they become of age to join the others if it would be a problem.I have already scrubed everything down and nothing I use for my hens do I use for my chicks.They have there seperate things completly.

No problem at all when they are older. The new chicks will have a degree of protection from the diseases for which they were vaccinated, and the older ones will not.

I have absolutly NO WILL POWER! I went to get feed and what do ya know I order ten more chicks and 6 ducklings.The guy said he THOUGHT they are going to be vaccinated because they get them from a hatchery.Should I count on it and mix them with my other order of 26 chicks (Those I had vaccinated) who will be arriving just days before my new batch I ordered? Take the chance or not?

Back
Top Bottom