Can you neuter a drake?

I ended up rehoming him (and two other drakes) last weekend. The place that I buy my feed raises chickens and guineas. They had planned on raising ducks starting next year. I talked them into starting now. :) They have plenty of coops and a HUGE pond. They plan on getting them some lady friends so they can raise and sell ducklings. I honestly believe they will be much happier there. My boy Ferd was miserable living seperated from everyone else. He is happy now that it is just him and some other boys as friends. They are spoiled by the owners little boy as he loves to give them treats.

Hiya, a just found this thread! When you said ended up rehoming your boy was it because the melatonin didnt work? Just curious as I am in a similar position with geese :)

My vet gave my 1 year old Pekin drake a shot of Lutalyse last night. Within a couple hours he went from slamming my girls into the ground to breed one after another after another and picking fights to just simply acting like a duck, digging through the mud, swimming in his pool and taking naps when the flock napped. I'm hoping that the flock will start to allow him near them once they see that he is not being so mean. Right now where ever Ferd goes the flock runs away in a panic.

The injection should last 10 days and was $38 dollars. My vet is getting an implant shipped to her that will be $30 to place and last 6 weeks. It is about the size of the microchips they place into dogs. I'm hoping to only have to do that once then breeding season will be over.

Keep your fingers crossed that this works. We love Ferd but he is not nice to ducks right now, I just want my silly, goofy, gallumpy Ferd back.

Brilliant!

Hi there I have 3 ducks was not in my plans just happened so in love with them now 1 of best pets can ever have
Okay I have a small problem now my ducks are big enough I'm 99% sure I have 1 girl and 2 boys I really cannot have ducklings even tho I would love to experience that I just cant my garden is not massive how could I stop this from happening
New to this sorry of I sound silly about duck life I've read also dracks are quite mean with mating
And should have more then 1 female?

Def more than 1 female, at least 3 and up per drake, as for ducklings just take up eggs daily and then you won't have ducklings. The only way to get ducklings if one of your females goes broody and sits on the nest for 28 days then you have ducklings.

The 2 drakes may fight over any females you have , to be able to keep 2 drakes they need plenty of space so they can stay out of each others way. and 2 drakes to 1 ducks will be awful for her yes they are extremely rough on the females when mating and can even gang up on her in water and drown her. You could try and rehome one of your drakes and just get a few more females or try and keep both drakes and get 5 more females. It doesn't matter about broody and mating, broody only means when a duck hen wants to sit on a nest of eggs to hatch them. Once they get to breeding age depending on breed of ducks you have anywhere from 5 months up the drakes will mate with the duck. Then she'll start laying eggs usually 2-4 weeks once mating begins.

My vet gave my 1 year old Pekin drake a shot of Lutalyse last night. Within a couple hours he went from slamming my girls into the ground to breed one after another after another and picking fights to just simply acting like a duck, digging through the mud, swimming in his pool and taking naps when the flock napped. I'm hoping that the flock will start to allow him near them once they see that he is not being so mean. Right now where ever Ferd goes the flock runs away in a panic.

The injection should last 10 days and was $38 dollars. My vet is getting an implant shipped to her that will be $30 to place and last 6 weeks. It is about the size of the microchips they place into dogs. I'm hoping to only have to do that once then breeding season will be over.

Keep your fingers crossed that this works. We love Ferd but he is not nice to ducks right now, I just want my silly, goofy, gallumpy Ferd back.
I know this post is 5 years old, but in searching for some answers I came across your post. My drakes are so forceful to my females that I'm afraid they are going to kill them. Do you possibly remember how much of the injection your vet gave your drake? I've spoke to my vet and mentioned this, he's never administered to ducks before but said he would try if we could figure out how much to administer. Thank you for your time!

It lasted a week before I started to notice him getting back to normal. He was so rough with Duck Vader last night that I had to bring her in the house for the night. He did something to her that caused her to not be able to get out of the pool. The ducks are always going in and out and with a flock of the same breed I didn't notice the same one was in the pool all day. She got chilled and had to come in for a warm bath and spent the night in the house in a rubbermaid tub with her best friend. I assume she was the one that he tackled and was rough with in the pool in the AM.
Needless to say he is seperated from the rest of the flock now. I plan on moving forward with the implants as I hope they last longer. If not he is getting neutered.
I love him but we don't plan on breeding him so he will be done with that.
I know this post is 5 years old but in searching for some answers I came across your post. My drakes are terrorizing my females to the point I'm afraid they are going to kill them. I mentioned this injection to my vet and he said he's administered before but not on ducks. Do you by chance remember how much was administered to your drake? Thanks for your time!

Back
Top Bottom