Can You Neuter A Rooster? And If So, Would It Make A Difference?

I know, I know, ya'll can stop laughing now...
lol.png

Anyway, I have two roosters that won't get along but I don't want to have to get rid of one of them...Can you have a rooster neutered? If a vet can do this would it take away the rooster's desire to fight?

I know I'm grasping at straws here and I currently have the one rooster listed on here and on craigslist.com but I really don't want to have to give him up. And no, my DH won't build me a separate quarters for a roo' and a couple of hens... My husband is nice but he isn't THAT nice!
roll.png

I know this is a dumb question but I had to ask...

Thank you!
TJ
I just got a quote from a phoenix arizona vet and they said its around 700-800 dollars to neuter a rooster and it might not make any difference. The people that neuter their own chickens obviously do it for free..and to make it fat like a neutered dog. But i guess if you are going to fatten it up just to slaughter it...do they really care about the animal for just satisfying their obese stomachs? Obviously not the well being of the animals. I was just told that having six roosters and 17 hens will be a problem. One is a silkie and one is a showgirl...I doubt they would pose any problems. I got them because they were attacking the hen too much. Now they are smaller them my hens and have never attacked anyone but me. They attacked the first day but they pretty much hang out together and dont really get into it with anyone.

I know, I know, ya'll can stop laughing now...
lol.png

Anyway, I have two roosters that won't get along but I don't want to have to get rid of one of them...Can you have a rooster neutered? If a vet can do this would it take away the rooster's desire to fight?

I know I'm grasping at straws here and I currently have the one rooster listed on here and on craigslist.com but I really don't want to have to give him up. And no, my DH won't build me a separate quarters for a roo' and a couple of hens... My husband is nice but he isn't THAT nice!
roll.png

I know this is a dumb question but I had to ask...

Thank you!
TJ
I'm in a somewhat similar position,I bought 3 chick's at 4 days old and now their almost 9 weeks they were all suppose to be female 1 is not! I too don't want to get rid of him but trying to figure out a solution like getting him nutetered.

Thank you all for responding... I've been doing some reading and researching on the internet and I think I will talk to my vet in the morning and see what he thinks about it. I'm assuming if it is done thru a vet that there will be pre & post surgery pain medication given to the roo' first? Someone please tell me, "yes"?... According to a few sites they do say that caponizing takes away their aggression towards the other roo's and hens.

I'll keep you posted. I can't believe that I'm asking this and even considering the idea... I do believe the older I get the crazier I become!

Thanks again!

TJ
Keep us posted. My roo has been picking on my 3 hens and they seem scared of him at times. Tonight they did not want to go in coop (luckily my coop is actually inside a hugt caged Avery that is built onto house, so not worried about preditors. But it looks like I will need to opt for this too. Getting rid of him is not option, I do love the little guy but I don't like him picking on them or seeing them scared.

Attachments

• 20210709_200159.jpg
    20210709_200159.jpg
    632.3 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom