Can you please post pictures of your Domeniquer Chickens

She is a nice looking bird:>) I like the stocky heavy set. I love barreds...but want the dominique combs on them...and have been thinking of mixing the two to see if I can get something that looks like yours. That would be my perfect bird.

This is my roo, Pretty Boy @ 5 months old.

6441_dsc_4343.jpg

And this is one of my girls, Rose

6441_dsc_4330.jpg

They are all so sweet! And they have a pretty dove gray color, not black. I love them!

I think I have a dominique as well. We thought she was a Barred, then a Maran (ruled this out based on the fact that they are more rare), but after looking through the poultry book, think she is a Dominque.

There are tons of pics of her at my blog, link in my signature.

Now you have me thinking my two hens may be Barred Rock. I was wondering what the difference was. Mine have rather blunt tails and very little comb. They have the smallest build of my hens. But it doesn't really matter to me. I don't have a rooster for them, so any offspring I'd ever sell from these hens would be mutts anyway.

16616_pets_12-2008_006.jpg

I will try to get you a few pics this week. My cousin has several hens and my father has a few and a rooster. These birds are very hardy and do produce nice brown eggs. I would rank them a 7 or an 8 on the laying scale with a Red Island Red at a 9 and White Leghorn a 10. We have experienced predator problems in the past and it seems as if Domeniquer's are never the ones that the fox or hawk can catch when the chickens are free ranging. Could be an advantage over some other breeds depending on your set up. These birds work hard in our pastures looking for grain insects. One of my favorite breeds...be back in touch.

ChickensfromNEPC022.jpg

I had to get a crash course in Dominiques this past weekend @ the NEPC... there was a breeder there that sold me a nice pair... he spent time going over the standard with me & explained that more than half the time (especially when purchased from hatcheries) folks who are sold Doms actually have BR or mixed breeds.

Back
Top Bottom