Can you please recommend a quality incubators and any important trimmings?

One Chick Two

Songster
Jun 13, 2013
Hi!
After searching multiple threads, I just didn't know where to go to find the exact info needed-, so thought I would go to the source, and ask you hatching experienced BYCers your thoughts about good incubators...

Am looking for a quality incubator, and the important trimmings- what are those? Hopefully a unit to ideally hold about 50-100 eggs, but isn't difficult to clean, or confusing to use for newbies to hatching. Thank you for your thoughts in advance.

For your criteria I suggest you look at what Brinsea has to offer. They make quality incubators that are fairly easy to use. The one I use would not meet your criteria.

I’d want one with an automatic turner. That makes it so much easier and reduces the stress a lot.

I’d want one that is forced air (one with a fan). For one that big you probably won’t have a choice anyway, but a forced air keeps the temperature the same everywhere in the incubator. It also insures a continual renewal of the air so they will always have fresh air to breathe.

You’ll want a window so you can see inside. I consider that a must-have.

With a Brinsea you should have fairly easy controls to adjust temperature and probably humidity. That should be standard with them.

That’s about it for me. Good luck!

Thanks so much for the recommendations!
I wish I could have some Silkies- but with a large flock of energetic, free ranging RIR, probably not such a great idea...

Thanks so much for the terrific recommendations!

Not sure we will be considering more Cochin in our future, in with our PRIR as it is said they are not usually considered the best layers- important aspect of chicken keeping for us.

We do have one 6 month old Partridge cochin already in with the RIR and OEGB, but not thrilled with him so far. He's at the bottom of the pecking order, and taking a long time to mature and feather out- another consideration. However, he's a pretty, quiet and docile fellow who's an amazing forager, but very shy and indifferent to humans, and would rather not interact with humans if given a choice, even with treats involved. If you hold him he'll submit, but makes it clear he'd rather be out foraging than getting attention. lol The PRIR are quite opposite, fun, friendly, boisterous, social.
Perhaps Wyandottes???

incubators well ive been using a 1502 sportsman it is a good one look it up online theres a place in washingon kemps coop I think he's the cheapest of all. it's very reliable

Back
Top Bottom