Can you put a coop/run right beside a home?

auntbee

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 14, 2008
We are planning out our coop and dh originally wanted to put the coop right against our house, and have part of the run be under the overhang from our kitchen. Now he's wondering if that's a bad idea or if it will make our house smell or anything. The other place he wants to put it would be beside our fence. So is there any reason placing the coop next to our house is a bad idea?

If you keep it quite clean and dry and very well-ventilated the smell is IME minimal, but if you have a finicky nose you *will* know there are animals somewhere around, and there *will* be some extra flies.

Also, you may encourage mice to live in your walls and nip out to the coop for a snack.

It is not a totally unreasonable thing to do, though, it just depends on how you feel about that sort of thing.

Make real sure the run drains AWAY from the foundation.

Good luck,

Pat

2667087495_da327ea94d.jpg

Our coop and run is just outside our dining room window. We never have a problem with smell from the run, thank goodness.

Pretty picture buff Hooligan.

I don't see a problem with putting it next to your house. I do agree with patandchickens, if you have a sensitive nose, you will probably *know* their are chickens/animals near you. I don't think it's a bad idea.

Amy

Unless there is some city or neighborhood ordinance, I wouldn't see why not, especially if it's considered non permanant (like on blocks instead of a foundation). Certain times of the year the smell is worse than others, but I don't find the smell offensive usually, mostly like straw, and dirt.

We live in a suburban area and the unused side "yard" (ok, so it's only about 5' wide) was the only area we could put a coop & run. Since putting that coop there, I've gone to that side of the house more in the past few weeks than I had in the previous 5 years.

According to the munical code in our area we're not supposed to have a coop within 50" of a building. However, our lot is 35' x 100', so that would be utterly impossible. We plan to bribe the neighbors on that side with eggs & garden yumminess, plus do everything we can to minimize any chicken smells.

Now, if only they wouldn't smoke cigarettes outside when the wind is blowing our way.
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
We have the same situation, there is no way we could put it 50 ft away. And technically, we aren't allowed to have chickens (a neighborhood thing) but some of our neighbors have some and they haven't had a problem.

Thanks for the link horsegirl, we will definitely take those things into consideration.

One problem we might have with the draining, is that the other side of the run is a cement thing like for a garden bed. So because of that, we might not want to use it. Thanks for your help!

Quote:
I'm assuming you actually meant 50 feet and not inches, but if the ordinance actually has 50" and not 50' written in it, that would be a shade over 4 feet and probably doable.

I wonder what the 50 foot reasoning would be, some sort of heatlth hazard? Or else knowing what size lots are in the area it's just a lame way of keeping people under their thumbs.

Back
Top Bottom