Can you put a hood on a pheasant?

DreamFa11

Hatching
Apr 29, 2015
Hello, my first post other then my introduction post. Ill try my best to give as much information as I think one would need to help answer my in a sense, may be a crazy question: Can you put a hood on a pheasant?
Some may not know what a hood is, but its fairly common among falconers. It is a piece of equipment used to keep the bird calm or prevent it from seeing its surroundings before hunts and etc. This year im going to be taking pheasants to fair. Mine are fairly well around people but I don't know how many people they can handle in a new environment. If they become stressed I would leave with them but regulations prohibit animals to be taken off of fair property until fair is over. So in the case of stress I would want to fit a pheasant with a hood. I have morphs of a ring neck pheasant and lady Amherst and golden pheasants on the way, all are full grown to average adult size. They are in full color or will be when picked up. They are or will be around 1 and a half or 2 years old.
But still the big question, can you hood a pheasant? I provided a picture of what a hood looks like, and of it on a bird. I think it would work, because falcons and pheasants have a pretty close head structure and beaks are about close too, but I want to see if anyone agrees, disagrees, or have done it before. Or I might be the only one who's has thought of it. Im imagitive like that. I know many will say not to take them at all, but I want to say im wanting to take them to show the public these wonderful birds exist and can sometimes be right in your backyard. I will be making sure the fair provides the right caging to accommodate there size, tail and all.
If you need any more information, let me know, ill gladly answer.
This photo is found on google and belongs to its rightful owner. There is a watercolor to show that.

Last edited:
I strongly advise you not to show them in fairs,they are gamebirds and no matter how calm they seem,all it takes is one thing to spook them and the results will not be good.If they don't kill themselves they will definetly be scalped and it may not grow back in.
They should not leave their pen unless you are selling them.
In N.H.,Tony.

Thanks for your reply, in regards to them being scalped, I solved that by substituting the top of the cage with a strong netting with small squares. About the size of a 1/4 inch, something like the size of rabbit cage wire for the bottom. This works well, because its not a metal, the squares are small so legs cant become caught, and its too small for heads, and or blinders/peepers to become snagged. When I got my pheasants I understood all to well of a scalped bird. They were put into a cage 1 ft x 1 ft with four females and a male, full grown. They were at a sale and I got them then, the female did eventually heal over nicely, and made a full recovery. They now live in a big shed, with a run made with the netting and it works well, for the cages at the fair, im going to have them set up the same. If they cant use the netting, taking cardboard and putting it on the inside at the top works well too, using ziptyes at the corners and every couple feet. It make the surface flat and the wire on the outside. But I will take your advice into consideration.

Back
Top Bottom