Can you put day-old chicks in with your week-old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicka_chicka_boom_boom, Apr 22, 2009.

1. chicka_chicka_boom_boom

chicka_chicka_boom_boom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    Eaton County, MI
    Ok, so my order from the co-op came in 2 separate batches. I now have 12 chicks that are day-old pullets, which I put in their own brooder box. Last week, I got 2 African geese, 6 bantams, 3 buff orpingtons and 4 runner ducks. They have all been happily living together in a big wooden brooder box for a week. I stopped at TSC on my way home from the co-op and found all their week-old chicks on sale for $.50, so I bought 12. They told me you absolutely can not put week-old chicks with day-old chicks, because the big birds will kill the little birds.

I'm confused! My big birds and little birds have been getting along famously for a week... do you think the would mind some more day-old chicks in with them at this point? The day-old chicks are bigger than the week-old bantams, with all their fluffiness.

My plan was to put the geese and ducks in the 2nd box, since they keep splashing the water everywhere and getting the litter all wet. I really don't want a 3rd brooder box...

What do you think?

2. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I did put day olds in with 1 week olds but they were standard sized chicks. I would make that third brooder anyway you need to separate the geese and ducklings.I finally got down to two brooders now last week I had 5 going. I always put banties by themsleves as they are so much smaller than standard chicks. I just spearated my week olds as some of them were trying to fly out. I took the flyers (15) and put them in a half of a refrigerator box. Its 3 feet tall so they can have some more room. The other 14 I left in the main brooder. I do notice that the day olds (2) stay pretty much to themselves but not together one is a cochin the othr an EE. A friend hatched them for me they were very late hatchers.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    well, I just mixed my chicks with no problems, but I did it at feeding/watering time when they were interested in the new stuff. They still get stepped on but they are all alive [​IMG]
    I have a very large brooder though so I'm not sure if that makes a difference, it gives the little ones plenty of space to get out of the way

4. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I have mixed day old and 1 week old bantams with no problems. That's about as far as I would go, though.......

5. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    i put day olds bantams with my week old bantams and everyone is doing great. It has been a week now and even though they have been stepped on a few times they are all great. it is really cute my small lil' sebrights will work their way up and under wings of a few older chicks and sleep. I think the older ones like the extra heat too. i was nervous to put them in there but so far it is just fine.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Im thinking a 1 week difference I would do-I tried my 3 weekers with my 7 weekers-that lasted less than 1 minute...

7. chicka_chicka_boom_boom

chicka_chicka_boom_boom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    Eaton County, MI
    Thanks for your replies. I put the little puff balls in with the week-old chicks, and there was a little bit of confusion for a few minutes. I watched carefully throughout the day, and even though there was a little bit of poking at the babies, they are all sleeping in a big pile together now.

It is so cute to see them all scooting around in there. The "week-old" chicks from TSC are also a bit bigger than my week-old chicks, so I'm wondering if they were actually more than a week old, or if they were getting a better boost while at TSC than mine were at my house.

Everyone seems to be getting along now, so I'm not going to worry too much. There is one little bantam that likes to make lots and lots of noise. At what age do you start seeing roo characteristics coming out? Can you tell by the tail, the comb or the amount of noise they make, or do you have to wait until they start crowing? Just wondering, since the RIR and the banties are all straight run chicks.

Thanks again for your advice. I'm still keeping a close eye on them all. The ducks and geese might be a little lonely without their baby chickies around, but at least one of the brooders is warm and DRY now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by