"Can you see the stars?"

Yep, I was looking at Orion's Belt just lastnight when I was standing on the porch listening to the Mountain Lion down the road screaming that blood curdling scream they do. Scared the bajeezers out of me!
th.gif

Yikes!

I can't wait to try this as soon as we have a clear night.
Going to drag my youngest outside to 'help' me decide what level we're at!

wow stars-

I used to love the stars. When I lived in Tennessee, I recall talking to my mom on the phone telling her how amazing the night sky was- that standing out there made you feel so small, that the sky had so many stars it was just like you would see on the space movies/documentaries...breath-taking.

Here, near Detroit- barely anything at all. On a clear night, you can pick out the big dipper, and some others- but nothing spectacular that makes you feel insignificant...

My last trip to my old home town in Tennessee, I asked everyone- "Where did all the stars go?" It used to be breath-taking...but now they have built up the area so much, put in so many houses and buildings and 'town' is hoppin' now- you cant see the stars.

I can still see stars where I live. Not as well I can back in GA, in the valley where Mom lives, but well enough.

Still haven't gone outside and checked what level of magnitude we can really see yet, though.

I really want to do this, but every time we go outside it's cloudy out! Silly Smokie Mountains doing their thing, I guess. Will have to keep trying!

debiraymond, I too can see the Milky Way, but only during the winter on crisp cold nights when the skies are exceptionally clear. Love it!

Back
Top Bottom