Can you still eat eggs that are fertile?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by boshkey58, Aug 4, 2014.

1. boshkey58

boshkey58 New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    I am new to raising chickens..... I just determined that two of my eight chickens are roosters. I am raising chickens mostly for the eggs, so should I keep the roosters? Should I keep one rooster? Can you still eat eggs that are fertile?

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Fertile eggs eggs are taste just like the other ones. So, no problem there. Two roosters on just 6 hens is a problem.

One rooster on 6 hens is good.

Roosters can be fun, and roosters can be a royal pain. You just don't know until it grows up enough so you can see his personality. However, mean roosters make delicious casserole! :D

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    There is no problem with eating fertile eggs. They do not start developing until they are incubated. Two roosters with 6 hens will probably result in problems. I would suggest keeping one at the most. Watch them as they mature and keep the one that is least aggressive to the hens and you. A rooster is not necessary in a flock, but it is fun to watch them interacting with their harem.

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Two roosters for just 6 hens is one too many I'm afraid...time to cull possibly?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by