Can you teach a "old" dog new tricks?

AppleCrisp

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 16, 2007
Hi. I have a 4 yr old collie. She knows how to come, stay, sit, lie down, but can I teach her new tricks? Her re-calls a little bad so I want to work on that. Also if I can and ideas on what to teach her? I'm thinking a basic shake-a-paw.
wink.png
smile.png

I have all summer off, cause schools ending so I will have the time . lol
big_smile.png

Thanks

Collies are very smart. Any dog can be taught new tricks, but some just are stuborn. Use lots of treats and praise. And time. Be consistant. Pick certain time of day, no distractions, and keep training sessions short to keep from being bored. Same thing day after day, and you'll get it! Unless you have one like mine (my hybrid) who taught himself to sit and heel!
Good luck! Steph
oh my fav is roll over!

Thanks. This should be a fun... expierience. lol
I donn't know... my pooch isn't the smartest tool in the shed...
lol.png
lol

One time we were walking in the driveway, and she was hoping around, looking at me. And she walked into the back of a parked car. lol
lol.png

I'll try. Thanks for the tips. Any thing else I could attempt to teach her? I was thinking to bow but I don't know how I would do that...

Bow-ing is an easy one! Just show treat and slowly lower while saying Bow, then give the treat in the lower position. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. (about 50 million times
gig.gif
) What about dancing and spinning? Or holding treat on nose til ok'd?

My neightbor taught his what he called " mute dog". He would put the treat on the end of her nose, she would pretend to bark, then flip the treat in the air and catch it.

Back
Top Bottom