Can you teach a rooster to stop being aggressive?

Quote:
X2 but if it's a specialy bred rooster worth keeping for breeding, then yes it is possible, but you had better decide because it ain't for the faint of heart. What you do is what everybody should do when you encounter a bully chicken or human............................. Beat the livin fire out of it within an inch of it's life, you won't have anymore problems. Anything short of this method is futile, some will say hold it more, and such and such................. hogwash just hogwash. Your choice !!!

We had a mean roo that was attacking us, when we came home today the 3 other roosters were attacking him, and probably would
have killed him ... I removed him from the flock and he'll be done tomorrow. Now too see if any of the other 3 take over for him !!

Quote:
Ya...in the end, the taming didn't work.

You're completely right of course! Everytime I'd turn my back to him, he'd come at me. The last time he got me, he got me good! The next day he was featherless and 'resting' in the refrigerator. Course, even after 10 hours in the crockpot, you still couldn't eat him.

I've tried the crockpot method as you have; and like you, to no avail. A friend of mine said you can get them tender enough for dumplins in a pressure cooker.

Last edited:
Quote:
Ya...in the end, the taming didn't work.

You're completely right of course! Everytime I'd turn my back to him, he'd come at me. The last time he got me, he got me good! The next day he was featherless and 'resting' in the refrigerator. Course, even after 10 hours in the crockpot, you still couldn't eat him.

I've tried the crockpot method as you have; and we you, to no avail. A friend of mine said you can get them tender enough for dumplins in a pressure cooker.

pressure cook them!!

One of my roosters showed a tiny bit of agressive behavior toward me (like he was herding me)... I picked him up with his wings closed to his body, laid him down on the ground for about 1 minute - holding him on his side. I talked loudly and said his name a few times. When he submitted I let him up. After that he was a different rooster! He now eats out of my hand and will aproach me like a hen would. He still protects his girls, but never comes at me, try it before you kill them. I don't know about you all but I would have a hard time killing one that was hatched by one of my hens and raising them. I do have 3 cockerels that I am selling if anyone needs a nice roo!
big_smile.png

One of my roosters showed a tiny bit of agressive behavior toward me (like he was herding me)... I picked him up with his wings closed to his body, laid him down on the ground for about 1 minute - holding him on his side. I talked loudly and said his name a few times. When he submitted I let him up. After that he was a different rooster! He now eats out of my hand and will aproach me like a hen would. He still protects his girls, but never comes at me, try it before you kill them. I don't know about you all but I would have a hard time killing one that was hatched by one of my hens and raising them. I do have 3 cockerels that I am selling if anyone needs a nice roo!/img/smilies/big_smile.png
One of my roosters showed a tiny bit of agressive behavior toward me (like he was herding me)... I picked him up with his wings closed to his body, laid him down on the ground for about 1 minute - holding him on his side. I talked loudly and said his name a few times. When he submitted I let him up. After that he was a different rooster! He now eats out of my hand and will aproach me like a hen would. He still protects his girls, but never comes at me, try it before you kill them. I don't know about you all but I would have a hard time killing one that was hatched by one of my hens and raising them. I do have 3 cockerels that I am selling if anyone needs a nice roo!/img/smilies/big_smile.png
i would be interested in one but i live in australia

Back
Top Bottom