1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you tell if they are fertile?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Raz'sRoost, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Raz'sRoost

Raz'sRoost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Ludington
    Is there anyway to tell if a egg is fertile? I gather each day...is that too soon to tell or do you have to wait awhile?

2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
  3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Here's a link to a great thread showing and telling how to tell if your eggs are fertile. [​IMG]

4. Raz'sRoost

Raz'sRoost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Ludington
    OMG! I have been trying to candle them, [​IMG]. This will be much easier Thank you both very much.

P.s. Mary: Love ur signature!

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Candling is for checking an egg that you are incubating. After you have broken a few and are satisfied that you have at least some fertilized eggs, you put them in an incubator, then you candle them to check for embryo/vein development. Depending on the egg, you might be able to see at 3 days. I usually wait till at least 7 days.

6. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Raz...thanks!!! Like Jen said, candling is for eggs that have been incubating. White eggs usually take 7 days to incubate for a newbie to actually see anything...Candling a brown egg will take about 10 days and you will definitely need a bright enough like to see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by