Can you tell me what breed these girls are?

Quote:
I think that comb is pretty small to be a male at 6 weeks.

Can you explain about the ears? I've heard about white lobes but the only pictures I've ever seen are of adult birds. I can see a white circle on this chick but I thought that was just feathers and the reference to lobes was the area below that that develops as their comb/wattle area develops.

They resemble my two Plymouth Rocks. I'd say that's what they are. Right down to the leg color, etc. Great egg layers and they're very docile!! It's not unusual for me to get two eggs a day from one of them. No other way to explain it when I only have the two chickens and I will gather my eggs in the late morning hours and check their laying box once again at night before securing them safely for bedtime. I find an extra goodie from them many times. It's a real treat, but due to this, I always make sure their diet is well balanced with protein and calcium...

Maybe its my phone but...if those two white ones combs are as red as they look at five weeks they look like cockerals
hmm.png
I will check on my puter later...

I've posted some new pictures the girls are almost 7 weeks now and one of polish is a real fighter and has lost some fluff on the top of her face, and now looks a bit demonic! I've ordered some no pick so we can nip this in the bud, hopefully her feathers will grow back
sad.png

I feel pretty confident the blacks are Polish and the Whites are White Rocks...do these pictures help?
95171_img_0980.jpg

Last edited:
In your second photo, that's not missing feathers -- it's a cockerel's V comb. And I think the black ones are looking more and more like Crevecoeurs.

I think another of the Crevecoeurs is a male as the 2 of them pick on each other all the time and it is getting that v shaped cone the other Crevecoeur doesn't have that yet and doesn't get into the fray with the other 2. like the 3 white ones are very docile and fight at all....At what age do you think we could definitively make out if they are male or female? They will be 7 weeks old this week...

There isn't a specific age when it's obvious for all breeds. You can get great help here by posting a side and frontal shot of each individual in question.

I haven't raised Crevecoeurs so hopefully someone who has will chime in. In general, though, some pinking happens in some pullets beginning around 6 weeks but a growing, reddened comb like the one in your second picture is bad news at this age.

And behavior is very unreliable. Pullets fight over pecking order in much the same way a young cockerel does.

Back
Top Bottom