Can you tell me what I am?

Chicken Nami

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2016
Sequim, WA

A

I bought these two chickens from a neighbor who breeds for meat. I want hens for eggs and pets. Can anyone tell me what kind of chickens they are? The colorful one I named Eagle because of her beauty, but she looks like a rooster? She has no wadler or comb, and doesn't crow. They are about 20 weeks old and have not started laying yet.

Last edited:
Eagle is a mixed breed cockerel. The other could be a mixed breed red bird, or production red/hatchery RIR/New Hampshire, but is a pullet.

welcome-byc.gif

Eagle is a male, so no eggs from him ever, sorry.
the red bird is female, just not quite developed enough to start laying yet. I agree she's a mixed breed bird.

Last edited:
I though roosters had a comb and a warbler, this chicken has neither of those?
Not all comb types get big. I'm guessing there is some Faverolle in these birds' ancestry, as well as Cornish. Not all chickens have wattles. Most bearded/muffed breeds are lacking them completely.
Look at the back feathers. Do you see how Eagle's feathers are thin, long, and pointed? Now compare those feathers to the feathers on the back of the red girl. Eagle has male saddle feathers.

There are several different comb styles in chickens, not just the big straight comb most folks think of

Birds with beards or non-straight combs often don't have much for wattles. But he has classic male coloring, and saddle feathers are a male only trait.

If you paid for pullets, and were clear that was what you wanted, you might ask your neighbor about returning or exchanging him for a female.

Thank you for this information, so much I didn't know about chickens. I called my neighbor, he doesn't want him back.
1f629.png
I will wait to see what happens with my buddy Eagle. He is such a sweet chicken, not at all mean, doesn't puff himself up or chase after me. Definite hen disposition.

Thank you, he is such a sweet chicken, no rooster personalities at all. I do see the pointed feathers, definitely looks like a rooster, probably not all developed yet so he doesn't have the mean streak yet that he will probably develop as a rooster. And he doesn't crow, so I guess I was hopeful he was a hen. :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom