1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can you tell me what is going on with these chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by my3jsons, Nov 20, 2010.

1. my3jsons

my3jsons Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    My favorite Araucana showed up looking like this yesterday. The grayish areas appear to be feathers that have broken off. She always allows me to pick her up and often follows me around to be held but not now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And since I am asking, does anyone know what the deal is with my rooster's comb? It has been like this for a while but seems to be getting worse.
    [​IMG]

2. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    With the hen either someone is pecking at her or she is pecking herself. You may want to check her for mites. She also may be growing in new feathers from a molt. The rooster looks like he has a little frostbite or he has been sparing with someone. Common chicken issues.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The hen is molting and those bluish feathers are pin/blood feathers. The rooster I am not sure about. May be damage from fighting or pecking or it may be the beginning of a fungal infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by