Can you tell what breed a chick is when they are mixed? Unknown rooster

jdkessel

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 1, 2016
I picked up a mixed group of straight run chicks that are now 2 wks old. Is it possible to identify the breeds if I know what type of hens they came from but not the rooster? Will the roosters breed being unknown throw off any chance of identification?

I think I have been able to identify the majority of the chicks but these 2 definitely have me second guessing. The hen selection for the group was RIR, Buff Orpington, Blk Sex Link, Red Sex Link, Barred Rock, Australorp, & Wyandotte (unknown if laced).

Its obvious they are not buff orps, RIR's or red links. Are they possibly a blk sex link. The grey on them is throwing me off.

Last edited:
Without knowing the breed of the rooster(s), we could guess all day long and still not be right.

However, if the rooster and hens aren't the same breed, the chicks are hybrids (mixed breed). Red and black sexlinks are mixed breeds, they don't breed true after the initial cross is made, so I feel pretty confident saying they aren't black sexlinks.

They're mixed breed chicks. As for the mix, hard to say. They are adorable though!

That's what I assumed but figured I would throw it out there just in case. The rest of the chicks have distinct characteristics of several of the breeds that the group came from. Im hoping that I have guessed correctly on them because it would be a pretty good mix to have running around the property.

Because I think these guys are adorable Im going to post some picks and share my thoughts.

Im new at this so be gentle.

Numbers 1,2 and 3 are possibly, at least Im hoping, BLR Wyandottes. Number 1 possibly being a roo.

Numbers 4 and 5 are Barred Rocks. Pretty sure those are correct. Just in the day since I took these pics their wing tips have added twice as many white and black feathers to them.

Number 8 may be a Blk sexlink roo.

I plan on taking pics of them every week til grown up just to see the changes they go through and document their growth.

Chick 1

Chick 2

Chick 3

Chick 4

Chick 5

Chick 8

Mixed never = a breed. To have a chick of any breed - both parents must be the same breed. You have some adorable mixes

Correct. I was just saying breed trying to identify the breed of the mother.

Wanted to post some updated pics of the chicks just to show the changes they have went through in the last month. Didnt know if I should start a new thread or just piggyback on this one...obviously I decided to piggyback.

Not really concerned about the breeds in which they came from any longer but feel free to post your comments and opinions. Especially on the sex. Still a few more weeks til we know for sure though.

I think out of a group of straight run mixed chicks Ive gotten pretty lucky. A beautiful addition to our flock.

This is a picture of what I was told was the rooster that made these beautiful little guys and gals.

#1 He has been one of my favorites from the start. If I keep a rooster he will be the one. Love how he started out red and brown and is now turning to black with cream. Makes me wonder what he will look like in full plumage. Obviously I think he is a cockeral.

Last edited:
#2 Love this birds colors. Hoping the grey undertones show beneath the red as she gets older.

These 2 will most likely be getting rehomed. #4s comb isnt getting any redder in the last few weeks so still unknown on that one, 99.9% sure 5 is a roo. These 2 feathers are different then the rest. They feel like they look...

These next 2 chicks have an amazing textured look to their feathers. Just like #2 and 3, I am very excited to see what they will look like full grown.

The person I got all my chicks from sent me pictures of the hens and the rooster she owns.
This hen may be the mother of these 2 chicks. The pic that was sent to me was labeled SFH... dont know what that means though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom