Can you use a dog shock collar to teach a rooster to stop crowing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gooseontheloose

Hatching
9 Years
May 23, 2010
Our rooster is really loud and annoying. Can you use a dog shock collar to teach a rooster to stop crowing?
hmm.png

lau.gif
Oh jeez! If you can find one small enough I do not know if it would work.

How would you attach to it?

Better yet, rehome him and you would do a kinder way of doing a roo's innate behavior of territory. Hopefully it is not a long crower LOL!

I think it may be possible but I have my doughts, hope it works.

AL

I doubt it. Probably fry his little chicken brain even on low and since their response to something painful or different is to make noise I don't think it will have the desired effect anyhow.

I've heard of people building heavily insulated rooster coops (like a 2x2x2 box +/- ) and putting them in there for the night, but I'm not sure how well that would work since you would still need to have some ventelation holes in it......

Roosters crow- it's what they do. They call to their mates, protect territory, and warn for predators. I wouldn't use a shock device on any animal to prevent it from making sounds it naturally makes. If having a rooster is a problem, you're best to rehome it, rather than deny it's natural instincts. All roosters crow. And you dont' need a rooster if you just want hens to lay eggs to eat.

Sorry-- I'm pro-animal, and hate to think of harming one just for being itself
smile.png
No insult intended, there are just better ways of dealing with a crowing rooster
smile.png

Quote:

I agree with the post above mine. That would be like shocking a hen to get her to quit laying eggs. Can't train the rooster out of being a rooster.. (or shouldn't) I would rehome if it is so difficult.

i wouldn't try shocking him
hmm.png

ive heard that some people have tried using a squirt bottle on roosters when they crows and eventually they stop
smile.png
maybe try that and rehome him if it doesn't work

I don't know where you are from, but unless you intend to breed chickens why have the rooster at all? You don't need him for eggs.

"Fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly, rooster's gotta crow or what's the point? "

A rooster is a chicken, not a dog. Dogs have been selected for thousands of years for trainability and responsiveness. You can't train chcikens like dogs, they are not the same kind of animal. It may be difficult or impossible for a chicken to connect the shock with the behavior... If that is the case you would have a terrified rooster being shocked and he wouldn't know why. Don't do it.

I'm not going to be as engaging as the posters above. What a ridiculous question. They shouldn't be allowed to be used on dogs IMO.

Get rid of the rooster if you don't want to hear crowing...it's what roosters do.
rant.gif
somad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom