Can you use golf balls?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickathon, Feb 25, 2013.

1. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    I was talking to a friend about my chickens and saying that I needed to order more dummy nest eggs. She said that her dad used golf balls. Is this a good idea? I don't know if the chickens would turn against the nest where they are at. Or will this be fine? Any answers would be welcome.

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Yes we use it and it helps keep other hens from breaking eggs too !!

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Yes golf balls should work fine

4. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    yup i bought a bag of plastic ones at walmart in the golf section. I don't know what there made for there just hollowed out plastic thats shaped like a golf ball. i got a bag of about 10 for like 3 dollars.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Golf balls, ping pong balls, river rocks, plastic Easter eggs... Doesn't matter. Whatever you have handy that is eggish in shape/size.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yup.

I first put sand in plastic Easter Eggs and glued them shut. I wanted them weightier than light plastic. Then I used golf balls ..... Now I use wooden eggs only because the golf balls hqve gradually disappeared over time.

I have a friend whose broody hen tried to hatch a small Tupperware container.... :lol:

7. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

My father-in-law uses golf balls when he suspects a snake is raiding his coop.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    There was a thread here a while ago about someone killing a snake that had been raiding a coop and it was full of golf balls along with a few eggs.

9. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    The snake was just wanting a caddy job. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by