1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you use straw?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Red, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    I have five, week-old RIR chicks. They are in their new brooder and happily scratting in the pine shavings. They've been in there for about 3 days now, so i'm thinking it's time to clean them out...My question is, is straw okay to use instead of shavings?

We only have a few shavings left and can't get to a pet shop. Should i wait until tomorrow to clean the chicks out, or can i use straw? I could even use the rest of the shavings and add some straw in if that would be better...? Thanks in advance for any replies [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  2. I Just went to the co-op and bought a bale of hay (which was a reasonable price this time last year)and put some of it down in the coop and just let them have a ball. Now they are laying and we really enjoy all thee eggs.I have never used pine shavings, ( no place to get them) and have always used hay.[​IMG]

3. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    I've always used straw, never used shavings, they love scratching around in it.

4. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Hurray that means i can clean them out and they can experience straw for the first time, should be fun [​IMG]

Thanks for the quick replies, i've learnt so much from this site...
    *goes off to clean out chicks* [​IMG]

5. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Straw is fine ... and wheat straw is better than barley straw.

Hay can be problematic. They will try to eat it, it is expensive, and it has a tendency to go mouldy very quickly when damp.

Hay is great for feeding animals, but less good for bedding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by