can you use the Plastic poultry netting on coops/pens?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by littlequail21, Jul 15, 2011.

1. littlequail21

littlequail21 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2011
    [​IMG] ok i feel like Nancy drew trying to find all the clues and hints on how to make a good Low cost pen/coop ((side note why are some called coops and other pens??) anyway so i noticed at the store its Much cheaper to buy the hard Plastic poultry netting, comes in a dark green color, but i noticed many of you don't use that. you use the steel. i wonder how strong or how well it really is? can coons or other quail eating animals Break and chew it with there teeth?? let me know thanks!! [​IMG]

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i wouldn't use plastic, main thing is threat of invaders, a racoon could EASILY tear that open, and ravage your whole flock

as far as the coop/pen, i've always thought that coops were for multiple birds, and pens are for breeding (1m/1f)

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Ok Ms Nancy.... Drew Yourself A Favor ( [​IMG] )... Pony Up The Money And Build It Out Of 1/2 Inch Hardware Cloth (metal Hardware Cloth) While The Initial Onset Will Be More Expensive The Lack Of Lost Stock Catches You Up In A Short Time Period

My Advice... Dont Use Plastic Fencing Of Anykind Unless You Purposefully Want To Feed Predators. It Has Zero Tenstile Strength... Poor Stuff Could Keep A Garden Slug Out, Much Less A Hungry Raccoon

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  4. littlequail21

littlequail21 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] Well you talked me in to it. will do. Sounds like its worth the extra money for a number of reasons. "1/2 Inch Hardware Cloth" CHECKED, off on my list of things to get. thank you!!

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Technically, the coop is the enclosed house used for nighttime confinement. A pen or run is an area enclosed in fencing for the purpose of containing livestock or poultry. Generally, you would have a coop inside of or connected to the pen or run.

6. elieugene6

elieugene6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    I have used it but only because I was using for containment only. I would never think of using it to deter predators. My geese can break through it if they want to. I lock everyone up safe and sound about an hour before dark. Regular chicken wire isn't even strong enough to deter predators. However if you wish to divide up a pen into different sections or something like that its great. No cutting yourself on the wire and you can cut it with scissors.

7. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Getting my hardware cloth tommorw

8. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    We use the plastic stuff only as toppers on our runs, to keep chickens from flying out and unwanted 'visitors' from flying in during the day, and everybody is locked up tight at night.

9. nook addict

nook addict Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    At B&N
    I use the metal stuff coated with the plastic.... strong, and works great!

10. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:i thought of that, but then the other thought popped into mind...pop sticking to the plastic D:

at least moreso then stickign to the smaller wire

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by