1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can You use the water method with incubated eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok, so Im having trouble with my eggs in the bator going stinky and yucky - Can I use the method where you put them in water and see if they float or sink? Or because they are incubated can I not?

Im having alot of trouble with candleing and not haveing a bright enough light and I dont have the mone right now to buy a light specifically made for candleing.

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I know I already answered this on your other thread, but I wanted to add about the flashlight--if you really can't candle, can you just remove the eggs as soon as they start to stink? As long as they don't actually explode, they won't cause undue problems in your incubator. So, I would just check them every couple days and toss any that are starting to stink or weep.

Probably not as reliable as candling, but I don't think the sink/float thing will work. The reason it works for eating eggs is that an egg that is old will have a large air cell and therefore cause the egg to float. Eggs that have been incubated will eventually have a large air cell whether they are good or not, and therefore it won't tell you anything useful for your purposes.

Sorry! [​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The water method absolutely works for incubated eggs, but it is different from the sink/float you'd use for eating eggs. A bad egg would float very high on the water, a good egg would also float. The difference is that you will see the good egg moving around, from the baby inside the egg moving.

Do you have a lamp? A coffee can? You can make your own candler. Just cut a hole in the bottom of a coffee can, just big enough to set the egg on. Put your light underneath and the egg in the whole and turn the light on. Just don't leave it there too long, as it will get hot (unless you use flourescent/energy saver lights).

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by