Canada winter & eggs chickens

I just bumped my flock up to 10 a few days ago, and that's the max I feel comfortable putting in my small coop but they're all getting along great. There's enough roost and floor space for them all and it seems to be working in my favour. If it's warmer than -10C or so, I don't even use the heat lamp.

Beautiful coop and I love the antlers - Whitetail??

You could most certainly fit a LOT more birds in there!!

This is my coop and run. The only time they use the coop is to sleep now that I have their health back up to snuff. There's been some changes since this photo was taken, but underneath the coop is a big pile of Hay that they cuddle in during the day. I have 10 birds in there, but wouldn't put one more in and if they didn't all get along, i'd probably have issues.

I have:
1 Jersey Jiant
5 Orpingtons (4 are around 6 months, one is around 4)
1 White Leghorn
1 White Leghorn x Orpington
2 Ameraucana/EE's

Next thing to build is external communal nest boxes. When we eventually buy our own farm, I plan to have a large coop like yours!

Thanks, I have no idea what the antlers are, they were on the shed when we bought the property lol.
I have 7 Speckled Sussex, 2 Dark Cornish, and 1 Black Jersey Giant. I also have 2 Muscovy cross ducks, and just picked up a little Call duck and a Mallard duck today :)
In the Spring, Summer and Fall I want to create movable wire cages so that we can move our flock around each day but keep them safe from predators.

Beautiful coop and I love the antlers - Whitetail??

You could most certainly fit a LOT more birds in there!!

This is my coop and run. The only time they use the coop is to sleep now that I have their health back up to snuff. There's been some changes since this photo was taken, but underneath the coop is a big pile of Hay that they cuddle in during the day. I have 10 birds in there, but wouldn't put one more in and if they didn't all get along, i'd probably have issues.

I have:
1 Jersey Jiant
5 Orpingtons (4 are around 6 months, one is around 4)
1 White Leghorn
1 White Leghorn x Orpington
2 Ameraucana/EE's

Next thing to build is external communal nest boxes. When we eventually buy our own farm, I plan to have a large coop like yours!

do you have wire across the top of that cage? We have issues with hawks and eagles here :(

No I don't. I figured i'd put one up if necessary, but honestly we were surrounded by hawk nests this summer and had absolutely no issues. We have Hawks, Eagles and Falcons here and haven't lost any birds to them. None have showed any sort of interest at all.

Hi,

I live in canada . winter temp is about 14 to -4 F , with downs of -31 F for 1-2 days some times .

We are building our coop and considered isolating it .. Waht would be the best to do for isolation and warming ? what are your ideas ?

The coop would be for 3 chickens for starting and would be 40 by 6 0 inches more or less inside + the outside garden .

thank in advance

This is the same temperature we get here in northern New England. Yes, northern New Hampshire is Zone 3 climate. I don't use insulation or heat. My birds are outside every day but those -30's F days and quite frankly no animal is out and about on those days, they rather hunker down and wait it out.

The important thing is to block two sides of run (corner of prevailing wind) with a tarp to provide shelter. Chickens do quite well in the cold.

I live in central ab and we have a 10x14 coop. I don't have a covered run so the girls don't venture outside too much. I need to bed the run again with straw and then they'll go out again. I find they don't like to have snow on their feet. I am leaving a window completely open all the time, no heat at all. They are doing really good. I do get some frozen eggs, but they don't seem to be a problem. I have 10 chickens. I wish I had more, but we are starting over after a complete predator wipe out.

I live in central ab and we have a 10x14 coop. I don't have a covered run so the girls don't venture outside too much. I need to bed the run again with straw and then they'll go out again. I find they don't like to have snow on their feet. I am leaving a window completely open all the time, no heat at all. They are doing really good. I do get some frozen eggs, but they don't seem to be a problem. I have 10 chickens. I wish I had more, but we are starting over after a complete predator wipe out.

My chickens don't mind the snow if it is not too cold outside (usually anything around the 10'c mark and warmer). Mind you, the only ones that really go outside are the Speckled Sussex, which are a more cold hardy breed

Yah mine were out before this blizzard we just had. But mow my straw is covered under a drift. So I need to re bed. They'd have been out today if I had done it. The cold doesn't bother them. But I have wyandottes and chanticlers so good cold breeds.

Back
Top Bottom