Canadian first timer....

bedpan

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2020
Hey Folks,

Thought I would join the community. I read over a lot of the Coop designs looking for ideas so thought I would share my build as I work my way through it. We (Wife and Kids 14 and 12) have been thinking about keeping chickens for a number of years. We moved to a slight more rural setting a couple years ago but some long summer road trips kept us from pulling the trigger. Well Covid final got us to do it. We figure there is likely no road trips this summer so we may as well get started.. And here we are.

I have been trolling for answers and designs for the last couple weeks. Today I actually started building. Our plans are for 4 - 5 Egg layers. We are not set on a breed as of yet. But I hope to have everything built and ready to go so we can populate in the next couple of weeks.

The Coop as designed (and mostly built) is about 16sqft of house and 24sqft of ground space for the night time confinement. I will add some more space for the run and or free range. We will just see how that part goes. Some pics to see today's progress.

IMG_20200405_152335.jpg IMG_20200406_103719.jpg IMG_20200406_103943.jpg IMG_20200406_161802.jpg IMG_20200406_163401.jpg IMG_20200406_181233.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome folks.. Trolling the 'Helpful hints for building coops" thread.. Got a couple idea's already....

I need to sort out ventilation/windows... I post this here but may start a thread if I don't find what I am looking for..

We live near Toronto Canada. So cold winters, hot humid summers. How much permanent ventilation do I need vs closing vents/windows? I plan on putting a couple windows in. Nothing huge. Really they are holes with Hardware mesh and a piece of sliding Plexiglas that I can open and close. Should I be putting some other vents in as well? Construction is 1/2" ply floor, walls and ceiling. Once the birds are in I will get a thermometer in there but just trying to figure out a starting point.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom