Canadian goose moved in...cant run her off, its too mean.

Jul 5, 2022
Lexington nc
We went outside one day, and there was a Canadian goose chilling with our ducks. We thought maybe it stopped for a break. We do have a pond about 300 yards away, where we have heard geese. She doesn't seem to want to leave. It is illegal for us to have her here, but I cannot tell her she isn't welcome, especially if she wants to be here. We live way back off the road, and don't have alot of visitors, but I don't want her to get caught here because they will put her down. That's the last thing we want to happen. I swear these feathery little critters are gonna be the death of me. As far as we are concerned, she can stay forever if she wants, but the laws say different. I'll never tell anybody she is here, but if somebody sees her, I'm afraid they will tell. I don't know ow what to do. We love her already, as she's been here a little while. It took me some time to get the courage up to ask yall about this. I would love for her to be where she belongs, but who am I to tell her she doesn't belong here? So, I've came to the conclusion that she can be wherever she wants to be, and if she wants to be a duck, she can. Would she be happy if we got another legal goose of a domesticated breed? Or would they not like each other? First goose that picked us, so we don't know much about them other the research ive done online, and everything I've read I about wild Canadian geese, and not domesticated. How similar are they to domestic geese? Are their needs the same as far as diet? Please help me to help her and make sure she's happy and healthy. Thank yall for any comments, they are greatly appreciated.

As long as you don't pen or house her and she's free to leave whenever she wants, I can't believe it's illegal. I mean, you can't get fined if a gaggle of geese decide to make a pit stop on your front lawn, right?

If you get her another goose for company, you run the risk of the Canada goose leaving anyway, and you're left with an unhappy, lonely domesticated goose. Also, I assume you lock up your birds at night, so even if the Canada goose stays, they'd be separated at night and probably make a lot of noise.

It's not illegal for her to be there. Just like @The goose girl said, as long as you aren't penning her up and she's free to leave anytime she wants.

Canadian geese pair up with a mate when they're around 2-3 years old, and it's for life. If their mate dies, they find a new one. So either the one in your yard is too young to be looking for a mate, or it's in between mates. It's just odd she's there alone.

I would assume the next flock of Canadian geese that fly over, she'll join them.

If within a week she's not gone, do you have a wildlife welfare or refuge place there you can call? Here in the States, they're called the Department of Natural Resources.

wow! That’s amazing. She is probably stoping by from migrating. It’s odd she’s there alone though. is she afraid of you. Dose she look injured or sick.

We have wild turkeys in the area, or I would say, a man in our area liked to release them so not native. Anyhow, a turkey hen in our area walked off with a bunch of hatched chicks, leaving one egg years ago. I put the one egg in my incubator with chicken eggs. 5 days later the left over egg hatched. I asked a game warden in our area what the rule was, he said if a turkey was in my pen in was not their responsibility. If the turkey was on the other side of my pen it was their responsibility. (The wild hen had bred with my meat turkey so it was 1/2 mine anyway.)

My neighbours 2 doors down have a big fish pond
They get a pair of wild mallards fly in and spend the day then leave at night
One day I came out of my duck coop to find the mallard drake on one of my girls
Once done he flew over to the neighbours pond to his lady
I hatched eggs at not long after but have no idea if one of those eggs came from that duck
We can’t always control wild birds and where they decide to hang out
That wild drake hit the jackpot in my yard with 15 girls to choose from 😂

Back
Top Bottom