Canadian Winters with Ducks

Wow we have blk bears we actually live below a bear sancutary [Mt Mitchell] and thankfully never had one try and get into our coops. They have made off with wild bird feeders [until I finally got smart enough to bring them inside at night] and even got into our trash can but thankfully never messed with the coops.

I’m in Manitoba and this week has been -30C and -34 overnight and into the mornings.

We have a little shed that I built for the winter, lined with flax bales for insulation. The floor is straw and that gets layered for about a month or so before I do a full clean up. No heaters, food or water allowed in the house!

Outside we have a fenced area, with bales around the outside to block the wind. I threw down a bunch of straw and their food and heated water pails are outside.

So far so good. One of my girls is pretty icy right now— she’s a swimmer, no matter the weather (or size of the bucket!).

I’m in Manitoba and this week has been -30C and -34 overnight and into the mornings.

We have a little shed that I built for the winter, lined with flax bales for insulation. The floor is straw and that gets layered for about a month or so before I do a full clean up. No heaters, food or water allowed in the house!

Outside we have a fenced area, with bales around the outside to block the wind. I threw down a bunch of straw and their food and heated water pails are outside.

So far so good. One of my girls is pretty icy right now— she’s a swimmer, no matter the weather (or size of the bucket!).
I had to place a thin board over top of my heated buckets to keep the ducks from using them as a hot tub. you can kind of see here but it does keep them from climbing in. Plus with your temps I'd be worried my ducks would freeze climbing into buckets. :welcome
IMG_0301.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom