Canaries breeding? and prices?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by jackrooster, Jan 16, 2011.

1. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    I saw an ad about a breeding pair of Red canaries that are about a year old, the are soo pretty, and i want them, My first question is the are 90 for the pair, is that a bit much?? The next question is when will they have babies? and what am I supost to have to for them to breed sucsecfuly and have babies??

2. BAMABIRDS

BAMABIRDS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    I Raised Canaries In The Past, And 90 Is Reasonable. They Will Raise If They Have Plenty Of Room And Are In A Lighted Ared. They Do Not Like Darker Places. Secondly They If They Are A Vibrant Red, That Is Because Somebody Is Giving Them Red Factor Color Food. This Is Very Bad On Their Liver. If You Get Them And Dont Give Them This They Will Turn An Orange Color After A While. Hope This Helps

3. Renie'sPeeps

Renie'sPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Orford, NH
    Yep.. Bama is right about the color food. I am very skeptical about buying breeders from anyone I don't know. Alot of times you are getting culls... like hens that won't feed their babies.. ect.. NOT all of the time... but for me.. I found I had much better luck with buying younger stock.

Good Luck to you,

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  4. Birdman18

Birdman18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    I was thinking of maybe getting canaries to live with some doves in an outdoor aviary. Will canaries tolerate the winter?

Thanks!

5. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I wish I could find a pair for 90. All the people around here want at least 90 for just the male...

6. Birdman18

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Quote:Anyone know if canaries are hardy?

7. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    i highly doubt canary would manage outdoors in ny winters, theyd do fine in an outdoor aviary during late spring through early fall but would have to come in for the winter (or provide a heated house attatched for the aviary)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  8. Birdman18

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Quote:Thanks bagendhens!! [​IMG]

Would their maybe be a type of caged bird that's hardy? I know budgies are, since I have them outdoors they are pretty hardy birds.

9. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    some of the australian finches and cockateils might work as long as they are introduced in the spring and allowed to harden off as the winter comes.
    mabe even quail as ground birds.

i would do something in the winter to prevent drafts, its not so much the cold that will do damage but the wind/drafts/rain.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  10. Birdman18

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Quote:Thanks so much bagendhens!! [​IMG]

I'll look to see how those birds will do, I might actually get diamond doves I have a lot of Ringneck doves in my aviary and they are quite hardy birds.

Thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by