1. Littleducky

Littleducky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    La Center, Wa
    Does anyone know much about canaries???? I got a pair that came along with the cage. (Just wanted some breeding cages for my buttons and I end up with more birds. ) My hubby must love me.

I will get pics up soon. One is a top knot? Looks like he has a big cowlick on the top of his head. They are susposed to be a pair but how do you tell males and females apart?

If anyone knows about them or knows where to go let me know. THANKS!

2. texaschick-a-dee

texaschick-a-dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Texas coast
    males sing. DNA testing is the only way to tell 100%. OR the way I went with my quaker, hasn't ever laid an egg in 4 years so I'm 100% sure he's a he.

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Oh, congrats on the canaries! Keep them and get another cage for your buttons! [​IMG] The topknotted canaries are one of the "fancy" breeds. Mated pairs are generally fairly quiet; the males sing when they are trying to impress/attract a mate. I LOVE to hear them sing, although I don't have any canaries. [​IMG]

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:We can't have (or aren't supposed to have...) Quakers here in Kentucky -- they're banned. I know of a few around, but if anyone asks, their owners refer to them as "just another one of those green parrots" [​IMG]

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    quakers....those are such awesome parrots. [​IMG]

I love reading about them in NJ. Those smarties! [​IMG]

They were almost banned in PA but it was fought and overruled that I know of.

KEEP the canaries for sure and get more cages haha [​IMG] you're doomed [​IMG]

6. Fungus

Fungus Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    crtrlovr...why are quaker parrots banned in Ky? that seems like a very strange law. I'm from Ohio and was just curious. Thanks......

7. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    I think because they reall aren't "native" and that's the reason. Folks let them loose & they can withstand temperature changes much better than many parrot species can.
    They live in large colonies as well.....build awesome nests....and are loud too.LOLOL I love them...........[​IMG]

8. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    quakers are living it up feral-like in New Jersey I think and i think that's why theres a lot of places that ban them they're like pigeons (as far as durability) [​IMG]

9. Mikhail

Mikhail Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    OR the way I went with my quaker, hasn't ever laid an egg in 4 years so I'm 100% sure he's a he.

parrots aren't like chickens, etc. They might never lay an egg in their entire lives, yet be a female. I have birds that I'm 100% sure are females and they have never laid eggs in the years I've had them. So your quaker may be a 'she'.​

10. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:parrots aren't like chickens, etc. They might never lay an egg in their entire lives, yet be a female. I have birds that I'm 100% sure are females and they have never laid eggs in the years I've had them. So your quaker may be a 'she'.

well you can only really be 100% sure on surgical sexing unless the birds are colored per sex like that one gorgeous species that the male is green and the hen is bright red and purple [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by