Cancer causing problems, hen needs vitamain k help!!!

Yuki

Songster
5 Years
Sep 13, 2017
My 5 year old hen has ovarian cancer. I took her to the vet and found out he suspects that it is cancer. She is loosing wait and is very pale. I am a vet tech student, so I asked my professor what to give her. She said vitamin b and k. But I heard man made vitamin K is bad for chickens. I gave her a tiny bit of pharmacy human vitamin K. But diluted in water and made the pill into powder and made sure not to give her too much.

Vitamin K is used to treat hemorrhage from sources such as eating rat poison. It wouldn’t make sense to me to treat with vitamin K for cancer. But I am not a vet, just an RN.
Human B complex which includes most B vitamins, is a rather good and safe thing to give chickens and may help the appetite, 1/4 tablet daily. It comes in tablets and a liquid form at WalMart. I would not give vitamin K without a good reason. Too much K could cause blood clotting.
Sorry to hear about your hen. Cancer is very common in chickens, especially oviduct cancer, and some other forms. I would have a plan ready if she is suffering to put her down or euthanise her.

@Eggcessive just thinking here... if vitamin K is used to treat hemorrhage perhaps it would be good for cancer. :confused: As my vet explained to me, many tumors develop their own blood supply (or interrupt normal flow through the system) and as the cancer grows it can case ruptures and internal bleeding. I have not given vitamin K for this, but have given yunnan baiyao to a dog with cancer for this reason. I'm not sure about dosage and safety of either in poultry.

My hen has had cancer for over a year. She is still going, she needs the vitamain k for blood flow.
Vitamin K is used to treat hemorrhage from sources such as eating rat poison. It wouldn’t make sense to me to treat with vitamin K for cancer. But I am not a vet, just an RN.
Human B complex which includes most B vitamins, is a rather good and safe thing to give chickens and may help the appetite, 1/4 tablet daily. It comes in tablets and a liquid form at WalMart. I would not give vitamin K without a good reason. Too much K could cause blood clotting.
Sorry to hear about your hen. Cancer is very common in chickens, especially oviduct cancer, and some other forms. I would have a plan ready if she is suffering to put her down or euthanise her.

My professor has been a vet tech for over 40 years and has chickens herself. Vitamain K is the precourser of blood. It will help her generate more blood flow. She is loosing some blood flow in her face and everything.
@Eggcessive just thinking here... if vitamin K is used to treat hemorrhage perhaps it would be good for cancer. :confused: As my vet explained to me, many tumors develop their own blood supply (or interrupt normal flow through the system) and as the cancer grows it can case ruptures and internal bleeding. I have not given vitamin K for this, but have given yunnan baiyao to a dog with cancer for this reason. I'm not sure about dosage and safety of either in poultry.

Hey guys good news!
She is still going for almost 8+ months with cancer.
Sadly she is getting weaking, losing muscle mass and getting tierder earlier in the day. She is happy and healthy right now too.

Back
Top Bottom