Candeling and hatching diary.

sasimpson77

Songster
6 Years
Dec 28, 2013
So I decided I wanted to do an egg candling diary starting at 24hrs, These eggs were placed in the incubator on 02-09-14 I have 44 eggs in the incubator but want to try to follow the same eggs. I decided to do 7 eggs I numbered some of them and then for fun my daughter and I drew faces on the others. I will try to candle them every day at about the same time and make notes as to what I observe and post pictures. Please feel free to post your comments or observations.

DAY 1 temp was 102 when I left for work but when I got home from work it was reading 106 so I immediately turned it down hopefully it does not affect the hatch. I have several colors of eggs I will note what color they are and what breed I believe they may be. My humidity is currently at 30%.

Note: Edited to show pics of eggs natural colors and also to number eggs fro easier identification.
Egg #1

Egg # 1 is a blue Araucana egg the hens were white and the rooster was black This egg came from a local BYC friend.

Egg #2

Egg #2 is a Barnyard mix egg from a farmer who supplies eggs for all the local schools.

Egg #3

This egg is a cream colored egg it is a Barn Yard mix egg from a farmer who supplies eggs for all the local schools.

Egg#4

This is light brown egg from the same source as above.

Egg#5

This is a dark brown maran egg the rooster was the black Araucana

Egg#6

This egg is out of our brown banty Americana hen we have had good fertility from these eggs.

Egg#7

This is another Barn Yard mix egg that came from the same source as the other Barn Yard Mixes.

Last edited:
48hours into incubation. I have two pictures of most of the eggs so that I could show the yolks as well. Temperature when I left this morning was 102 humidity was 31% it was the same when I got home Woohoo.

Egg 1 Not much change

Egg #2

Egg #3 We could see a small red spot floating around in this egg believe it may be some cells starting to grow.

Egg #4

Egg #5 This egg has an air cell that is developing pretty far off from where it should be. I tried to show it in the pic.

Egg #6 In the second picture of this egg you can already see a spot where the chick has began growing.

Egg #7

Not much to see but will be interesting in the end when we can put them all together I am sure some will stay clear, some will be early quitters and if I am lucky some will hatch out nice fuzzy Butts.

I also have a candling and hatching diary- with a really clear egg all the way to day 18
big_smile.png

72 hours or day 3

Egg #1 Nothing yet

Egg #2 Can't see into this egg as well anymore hmm could be a good sign but seems kind of early for that.

Egg #3

Egg #4

Egg #5 I like my Banty EE eggs there development is so easy to see but this egg has me worried the veining does not look right.

Can you see the red lines there is something going on in this egg.

Egg #7 nothing to see yet.

Day 4 can see some defimite development in some eggs
Egg number 1

Egg #2

Egg#3 Note the dark eyeball already in the second picture

Egg #4

Egg#5

Egg #6 Definite vein development

Egg #7 See the Air cell developing

Last edited:
Day Five Tragedy struck we Dropped egg #2 it has a bad dent but is not leaking so I moved to a different incubator going to see how it goes very sad that it was a green egg. I am debating wether or not to replace it or just continue with 6 I will make a decision later. So moving on to the other eggs.

Egg 1

Egg #2 (damaged in air cell area)

Egg #3 (strange dark red spot still present no signs of veining

Egg #4 hard to see in pics but there is some veining

Egg #5

Egg #6 Amazing how well you can see into the blue eggs look at the growth

Egg #7 Once again you can see veining

Day Six Temp is at 99 humidity dropped to 16% added water and increased the temp. Quite a few are looking promising even saw a swimmer today Kimd of concerned about the odd air cell in one of the eggs these were not shipped eggs so a bit confused. I am surprised I am not getting much in the way of responses or comments on this Diary I am looking forward to making a collage of all the photos at the end.
Egg # 1 This egg shows no signs of any development Pretty sure it is going to stay clear.

I replaced Egg # 2 with this egg it is the same age but it appears to be clear right now.

Egg #3 Veining is starting to appear

Egg #4 I could see an eye in this egg

Egg #5 This is the egg with the odd air cell so far I am not seeing any signs of development.

Egg #6 All I can say is wow what an over acheiver lol no doubt it is growing.

Egg #7 Hard to see in the photos but it is growing.

Back
Top Bottom