Candeling eggs?

BlackRubleHatch

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2015
I normally don't candle eggs but I'm tired of rotting eggs in my incubator. What days are the best to candle your eggs without hurting them?

@annabellaknits thank you! I'm gonna wait till day 7 and then candle. I'm also gonna buy a better thermometer that way I can keep my incubator at exact temp.

I candle every day after day 7. I just can't resist seeing how they grow. Keep in mind, hens get up off the nest at least once a day. A few minutes outside the incubator isn't going to hurt anything.

Yea I knew hens get off the nest I just heard that if you candle eggs early then it will kill them so I wanted to clear it up before I candle lol.

Yea I knew hens get off the nest I just heard that if you candle eggs early then it will kill them so I wanted to clear it up before I candle lol.

With some of my lighter shelled eggs I candle at day 3 and can tell if there is any action.. I try to stay away but typically candle every couple days after that, I don't have to remove the eggs from the bator and don't use the turner so I have to open the incubator a couple times a day anyways so why not shine the light and see whats going on
big_smile.png

I candeled some of my eggs they arn't clear but they dont have any veins i can see it looks blood red and a little dark when i shine the light from the blunt end
they are six days old and i dont know if they are fertile or not

Back
Top Bottom