Candle warmer incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Delmar, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Delmar

Delmar Songster

I'm thinking of using a $5 candle warmer as the heat source for a small incubator. Less fragile than a light bulb and less likely to burn out. [​IMG]

anybody ever try it? Mrs Delmar has a couple of them laying around. If I get the hatch done before the heating season ends I might not even need a thermostat. Just hook it to a dimmer switch to regulate the temp and keep it in a 70 degree room.

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    it's worth a try. [​IMG]

3. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Songster

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Hmmm, I have several of those (I use them to keep my coffee warm - perfect sixe for a coffee cup).

I will have to look into doing that. Neat idea.

4. Delmar

Delmar Songster

Might also work well inside a cookie tin, as a water heater, instead of a light fixture and bulb. If it puts out enough heat it would. P think I'll post this idea on that thread as well.

5. Squeaky McMurdo

Squeaky McMurdo Chirping

Nov 7, 2012
    Afton, Wyoming
    Did it work?

I'm thinking of doing this so my sister can bring me some eggs when she visits for Thanksgiving.

I'm testing a setup right now, but only got it to 90 degrees today. Maybe it needs more time? I just didn't want to melt the container so I checked it every hour. lol.

I just put a mirror on top an hour ago to see if that will help reflect the heat back.

I don't have the jar of water on top of the warmer, I thought it would evaporate too fast. It's next to it right now. Should I put the jar on top?

6. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    OMgosh I have a story about those things. My daughter got me one for Christmas with a bunch of candles and such, well I neglected to read the directions and was cleaning and thought lets use the candle warmer and make things smell good, well to make a long story short.....Always have a glass holder for your candles, it will melt all over the place [​IMG] and never work again and make you upset, throw it in the trash, then.....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: