Candled day eight on bantams and buttons-good and bad

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coffeemama, Apr 27, 2008.

1. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Anyone else on day eight or so? I candled tonight, and most of my local eggs look good. Grace's (GracefulBantams) shipped eggs look pretty good, and some RIR bantam eggs that I got look ok at best. I can really see the difference between local eggs and shipped, and between well packed and not so well packed.
    Sad thing happened-a second button quail egg popped out of the turner and got crushed underneath. The first one I patched with wax, and it seems ok. This one was really bad, so I called it a loss and cracked it open to see. Super sad-little baby was moving around [​IMG] The sappy me was almost in tears, but the scientific me thought it was cool.
    If anyone has any good advise for fitting the little quail eggs into the chicken egg turner, please tell me. I put a sticker over the hole on the bottom of the cup, but I still have two eggs in one cup and that is how they keep popping out.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Best of luck! Can you maybe pad with cotton balls?

3. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I wonder if a little piece of double sided sticky tape would hold it in place?

4. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Good Luck w/your hatch! I am also on day 8.I have banties mix.I am afraid to candle since I think last hatch I candled too much.

5. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm on day 5. I candled last night. It was so cool. I cant wait to do it again.

6. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I'm not going to candle again until day 18 unless I get a bad smell or something. Thanks for all the luck wishing-I'm feeling much mre confident with my hova holding the eggs this time. [​IMG]

7. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I put a cotton ball in each one of the chicken egg slots. Then I decided last time to add one quail tray to my turner. That way I don't have to take it apart every time I need to incubate them.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  8. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    We were at Day eight last night & candled--definitely cool! 13 standard blue/black/splash cochin eggs in our bator.
    Good luck w/your quail; they are so cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by