1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Candleing Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigredfeather, Jan 29, 2009.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I candled some eggs that have been in the bator for 7 days last night. One of them had a tiny black dot that was floating around. It moved as I turned the egg. I've looked through all the pics of candleing on here, and I can't find anything like this. What does this mean?

2. Wait till day 10 or so to candle. Then you will really be able to see whats going on. At 7 days that is too soon to make any big decisions. I have candled as soon as 3 days but i have a super bight light. I suggest waiting till day 10. [​IMG]

3. natalie1136

natalie1136 Songster

Jan 5, 2009
    Dennison Illinois
    I had one like that. I left it in until day 14 when i candled again. I knew right away that it had died early. The other eggs were nearly full of chick on day 14. It could be o.k.. i would wait until day 14 to see if it is o.k. I never really know for sure b/c this is my first time. So i didn't remove any until day 14. Hope this helps. There are some really smart people on here I'm sure they can tell you better.

Natalie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by