1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Candling / air space help needed.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by marlene, Aug 25, 2011.

1. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Does any one know if an egg is not developing would the air space keep growing or not?, also what does an egg with no air space mean??.
    I ask because i got 1 egg with no air space and a few others that don't look like they have developed but the airspace is growing. They have been in the bator for ten days.
    If i do float test on the eggs that are not showing development should they sink? i just want to be sure before i start chucking eggs out.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
  3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

the air cell would continue to get larger since the egg is losing moisture..
    if left long enough (assuming it didnt rot and explode) the insides would eventually dry up completely

4. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Oh well i suppose tomorrow i will chuck out the ones not showing any development as i really don't want any exploding in the bator.

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Also, I wanted to mention that the float test is not really useful unless you're talking about eggs that are 21+ days along...

6. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    ok thanks for that, i was thinking that if they had not developed at all that they would sink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by