Candling and decided which eggs to cull

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kupi99, May 7, 2009.

1. kupi99

kupi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Ok, so my first hatch is not going very well so far. [​IMG] I've had lots of temp probs, and humidity probs. Some of the things I know what I did wrong, other I don't. Tomorrow is day 10, and I'm candling the eggs then. I've held off candling before now depsite the probs, b/c one, my eggs are dark and since this is my first time so I want to be able to see clearly, two I've had such probs getting the temp anywhere near steady that I don't want to mess with cooling the eggs anymore than they have been cooled due to temp fluxes.

My question is if I see any chicks developing / growing when I candle, is it worth keeping them, or will they just die when they hatch or within a few months of life? Should I just go ahead and cull the whole bunch now, on the grounds that even if they hatch they'll be sickly? I'd like to get a chick at least, if I can.

2. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I am also a newbie on my first hatch. I think in your position I would let the hatch go ahead - you can't know what will hatch and if they will be ok but I would want to give them a chance. I don't think I would be able to get rid of them now - if anything is growing then you would be denying it the chance of a life and I could not do that. Just my opinion for what it's worth! good luck with your decision.

3. ~*B*~

~*B*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Ohio
    i would keep them for sure!
    i would keep anything that wasnt a clear bloodring
    or non fertile egg. i had terrible issues one
    being my son turning off the heat and the temps
    were in the 70s for about 36 hrs. i lost 3/4 of my
    eggs but have had 4 hatch since yesterday.
    so dont give up on them yet.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Honestly I leave all eggs in my bator unless I need the room. A full bator is (normally) a stable bator [​IMG] Just be sure to do a sniff check every day to see if there are any stinkers. You will be able to tell. If you find one that is stinky, you can smell it out and toss that one. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by