**Candling egg that was left on nest after hen killed...need advice**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sfogle, Oct 6, 2012.

1. sfogle

sfogle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Hello, I have a very unique situation and hoping someone on here could shed some light on it.

We just lost our turkey hen today with her 9 babies. She had 2 eggs left on her nest, so we decided to put them under our broody chicken, who is also sitting on 5 chicken eggs. We have no idea when these eggs would've been scheduled to hatch, as the other 9 chicks were a complete surprise.

I candled both turkey eggs and there is hardly any light showing through, so I know it is at the very end...just not sure if the chick inside is even alive. I thought I saw movement in one, but so hard to tell. If the egg is full and dark inside, I assume that means it is close to hatch date. Will there be alot of movement or not? I am so hopeful that these 2 chicks will hatch as it would be so neat since their mom didn't make it. But...I just can't tell.

Any tips/suggestions on being sure if chick inside is alive or another way to candle...what to look for....etc...

I would appreciate any advice you could give me...been a really hard day for my kids and I as we had our hen for several years and her 9 chicks just hatched a couple days ago.

Thanks!

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I just candled my eggs last night and there was NO movements. It was dark . I marked it with the pencil just in case , it hatched this morning ! ( Mommy chickie did a good job. ) I got another one hatching any minute !

3. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

Very little movement and hard to see at the end. can usually tell very near hatch by the slope of the air sack.

RobertH

4. boochaces

boochaces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    PICS!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by