Candling eggs

MillietheHen

Songster
Nov 10, 2020
So far everything is going good with my broody hen. I’m not sure of the exact day she started incubating the eggs but I think today is around day 17. Anyway, is it ok if I candle the eggs today? I’m always so nervous about handling them but I want to candle all 12 eggs before lock down. I’m very new to having hens hatch eggs so I appreciate any suggestions.

One option is to wait until shes off the nest for her food-water-poop break. That's probably the least stressful if you happen to know when that is. I usually candle at night by putting a towel over the hen to calm her and gently reaching under her to pull out eggs (if you do that method, I'd pull them one at a time but put them back all at once so you arent recandling any). As long as you're careful, I dont see any problem with it.

One option is to wait until shes off the nest for her food-water-poop break. That's probably the least stressful if you happen to know when that is. I usually candle at night by putting a towel over the hen to calm her and gently reaching under her to pull out eggs (if you do that method, I'd pull them one at a time but put them back all at once so you arent recandling any). As long as you're careful, I dont see any problem with it.
Ok thanks! She already got off the nest today but if I can convince her to get off again for some food I’ll grab the eggs. If not I’ll try your method.

Back
Top Bottom