1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Candling Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carolcu, Dec 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carolcu

carolcu Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2010
    Cleveland
    Can anyone out there tell me the name of a good candler that will candle brown eggs. I need to be able to look for blood spots in my eggs before I sell them to a few people. A homemade candler would be o.k. if it will penetrate brown eggs. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-egg-candler-using-common-household-materials

Hope you find this link usefull it's about home made candlers. I personally would reccomend a Brinsea ova view candler. It has a good led light easy to handle and the rubber ring that goes on the egg has a good seal that makes all the light go into the egg. Also candling in a very dark room also enhances what you see in the egg.

Best of luck to you.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Boy, I can hardly see a developing embryo at day 7 in a brown egg......not sure you could see a blood spot.
    Wonders what they use in a commercial setting?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by