Candling! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kjedge, Mar 30, 2015.

1. kjedge

kjedge New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    This is my first time incubating chicken eggs, it started as a project with my 7 year old son whom I homeschool. I've been doing everything as I should today is day 5 and I couldn't resist so I candled them and I'm sure I shouldn't have. I'm disappointed because from what I could tell there's only maybe two that seem to be ok. I'm attaching a picture of a few of someone could tell me what you guys think. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. poultryman84

poultryman84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2014
    Quincy IL
    If it were me I would leave them all go until day 10 and check again. It can be hard to tell just 5 days in.

3. milbest

milbest New Egg

Mar 17, 2015
    Look at my post count and take this for what it's worth. It's my first time and even at 9 days I couldn't tell for sure if some were viable or not. Had I gone with my inexperienced "gut" feeling I would have tossed many that today candled with movement. best wishes.

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That's exactly how we ended up incubating and now raising chickens: homeschool...lol We did our first hatch for our Oviparious animal unit and now we are raising chickens. My boy is 7 as well. I agree with not getting disapointed quite yet. When I candle on day 7 I move anything that looks clear to one spot of the incubator and recandle them on day 10 and toss them. Just to be double sure.
    It's hard to tell from the pics. A couple almost look as though there's veining, but I honestly can't tell from the pics. The middle bottome one is very porous. Moreso than any I have set. Don't get discouraged and don't be afraid to try again if it doesn't work out the first time. (Our first was a flop and we ended up with one survivor.) Good luck and I hope there's more there than you think!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by