Candling overdue eggs

oopsadazy27

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 6, 2014
I have a Black Australorp setting on six eggs. They are overdue by about three days. They all passed the float test with flying colors. They were all low-floaters. And yes, my girl tucked them all back under her without hesitation. If I candled them would I be able to see movement if they are viable? Not sure how much longer to wait. Also, if she has been broody for this long, and the eggs don't hatch, could I put another bunch under her?

I have a Black Australorp setting on six eggs. They are overdue by about three days. They all passed the float test with flying colors. They were all low-floaters. And yes, my girl tucked them all back under her without hesitation. If I candled them would I be able to see movement if they are viable? Not sure how much longer to wait. Also, if she has been broody for this long, and the eggs don't hatch, could I put another bunch under her?
When doing the float test an egg that floats does not mean that it is still viable. You only know for sure if it floats AND it wiggles. (Has movement independent of the motion of the water.) If you candled and they were still viable you might see a bit of movement at this point. But if the chicks are developed and filling the shell like they should be, you don't see much.What you would be hoping to see is an internal pip. (A shadow of the beak into the air cell moving.)

You could put another batch under her. But how long she'll stay broody is not certain. She could set until they are hatched or she could come out of the broodiness and leave the nest.

Thank you for your reply. I tried to candle them, but the shells are too dark and I can't see anything. I think I am going to give her some new eggs and trade them out. Hopefully she has stamina and stays broody! There was one point during her setting that she confused her nest with another and they may have gotten too cold. Sad day :(

Thank you for your reply. I tried to candle them, but the shells are too dark and I can't see anything. I think I am going to give her some new eggs and trade them out. Hopefully she has stamina and stays broody! There was one point during her setting that she confused her nest with another and they may have gotten too cold. Sad day :(
Good luck.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom